As regulators get more serious about ensuring consumer data protection, the number of fines assessed for data breaches in 2019 has now reached upwards of $1.22 Billion.
Some of today’s most widely used products and services aren’t doing enough to protect your data. That’s not something the government takes lightly. Here’s the breakdown of the biggest fines to the date below:
- Equifax: (At least) $575 Million
- Equifax: $650,000 (second fine)
- Facebook: $650,000
- British Airways: $228 million
- Uber: $148 million
- Marriott International: $124 million
- Yahoo: $85 million
- Tesco Bank: $21 million
- Target: $18.5 million
- Anthem: $16 million
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center: $4.3 million
- Fresenius Medical Care North America: $3.5 million
- Cottage Health and Touchstone Medical Imaging: $3 million each
These fines are a cumulation of European and United States regulatory fines enforced for companies that share data across multiple countries. As rules and regulations increase in 2020 and beyond, governments place an emphasis on corporate responsibility and accountability.
Axis Technology and Data Breach Protection
Everyone and every brand are susceptible to attacks online, but the solution is simple: be careful online. For companies, it might be time to protect their customer’s private information even more.
Data masking operates by shielding confidential data, such as credit card information, social security numbers, names, addresses, contact information, etc. from unintended exposure to reduce the risk of data breaches. Axis can provide you with the data masking expertise you need to mask tens or hundreds of databases or files.
Data masking can protect many forms of sensitive data, including (but is not limited to):
- Payment card information (subject to PCI-DSS regulation)
- Personally identifiable information (PII in conjunction with HIPAA)
- Protected health information (PHI)
- Intellectual property (subject to ITAR and EAR regulations)
At Axis, we have been delivering successful data masking projects to some of the largest financial services and healthcare companies for over 12 years. We create customized solutions that are automated and don’t break your existing test and development environments.
Consult with an Axis Technology representative about our Data Masking and Virtualization Services and other ways we help protect you from compromising your business.